Thursday, December 19, 2013

I'm bulletproof…

…well maybe I'm not, but my coffee is!!

Last New Year, my resolution was to cut out the sugar in my coffee. I started to realize that my morning coffee contained at least 2 tablespoons of sugar. And some days I'd repeat that twice in the morning, and then again in the afternoon! That's a lot of sugar, not to mention that wasn't my only sugar intake for the day.

Before I got married I would drink my coffee black. Not because I was trying to be healthy, I just honestly enjoy the flavor of coffee. When Hubs and I got married, I noticed his coffee habits were quite different. He enjoys his sugar and cream with a dash of coffee :) Before I knew it, I was adding just as much sugar and cream to my coffee….and loving it!!

Buuut, on this journey to be eating better and setting good eating habits for the kids, we started cutting back last year. I still on occasion make a sweetened latte, but mostly I enjoy my espresso, americano, and latte just plain.

I've been seeing recipes for Bulletproof coffee all over Pinterest. This article from Stupid Easy Paleo is amazing at explaining all the benefits as well as several recipes I'm excited to try! Getting enough healthy fats in your diet is important, and this is a great way to start the day off right.

My first attempt was a different ratio than linked above. I brewed two shots of espresso and added enough water to make 8oz of coffee (technically an Americano), two teaspoons of coconut oil, and one teaspoon of ghee (organic grass-fed found here). I measured the oil and ghee in the cup that came with my immersion blender, poured the coffee right on top, then gave it a good blend.

I admit I was skeptical, I almost added some raw honey thinking I needed to mask the flavor. After one sip, I knew it was a winner and was honestly shocked at how delicious it was!! It was creamy and tasted like coconut flavored coffee. I will repeat again tomorrow, but using the "official" recipe and will report back with those results.


No comments:

Post a Comment