Monday, May 20, 2013

Gimme Bread!!

Growing up we had a bread machine, we made a few loafs, but no one seemed to enjoy eating it. I remember starting a few loafs and being impressed that you could just dump everything in a push a button. We never made bread the "old fashioned" way though. It has always been a daunting task for me, that I've just gone to the store and bought bread.

One of my new years resolutions was to cut out the ugly "high fructose corn syrup" in our diet. Easier said than done obviously! We are not sugar free, or refined sugar free, but the simpler the ingredients the better. It's getting easier to find bread made without HFCS, but it's also getting expensive!

In Orange County, the loaf of bread that we buy is $1.99, on sale! And that's not even all natural, it's just HFCS free. It was getting ridiculous that I hadn't attempted to make bread. I really do have the time, I just needed to find a recipe I could live with. No powdered milk, just one more processed ingredient I don't want in out diet. No bread machine, can't get the texture right and always has a "machined" taste.

Pinterest to the rescue!! I came across this blog (awesome link here), and it's a winner!! I've made 5 loaves so far, and short of user error (busy mom tip: set a timer for the rising...super easy to forget!), it's been perfect!

Here's my recent loaf:

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy YOU'VE made a blog!! And I'm so happy it started off with bread!! I'll be making this ASAP, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got bitten by the blog bug LOL!! You won't be disappointed with the recipe, it's amazing!!

      Delete